Pages

Friday, August 6, 2010

Day 2 of the Summer Tour..."The Drive Continues"

Aug 1st - I woke up Sunday morning in a rest stop in Indiana, just a few miles from the Ohio border.  I had logged over 700 miles the day before, and I was eager to get back on the road to keep moving.  After being awake for only 3 minutes, I was standing next to my car in the rest stop, stretching out, and I made a new friend.  His name was Chuck.  He owns 3 houses which he is trying to sell.  We had an interesting conversation about his VW that does 160mph, cops in Illinois and Iowa, traffic in Chicago, and his brother who passed away.  He was a very nice fellow, I just wish he had given me some time to get a coffee and splash some water on my face before he came to visit with me at the Hotel Honda.  I don't think he fully understood Body Marinade or what we do, but I tried.  We wished each other safe travels and we went our seperate ways. 
While driving that day, I left a crumb behind in Walcott, Iowa, across the street from the "World's Largest Truck Stop", and it was the first one to be claimed.  Congrats to Jeni Martin who drove over 30 minutes with her son Jonny to pick it up, you guys rock!!  He looks like a pretty cool mini-marinader!!  Check him out here!!

Driving through Indiana, Illinois, Iowa, and the beginning of Nebraska took up the rest of the day, and I finished just west of Lincoln with just under 1600 total miles logged on the trip.  We had also started running a mileage contest on Facebook as well, and it was fun to know that everyone was waiting to see how far I had gotten by a certain time.  Just before I fell asleep, there was an amazing lightening storm that was better than anything I have ever seen on TV.  Mother Nature is truly amazing sometimes.

A few minor observations from Day 2...

1.  There is alot of corn in Iowa...What you see on "Field of Dreams" is really the way it is.  I was amazed at how much corn is actually grown right next to the highway, I can't even imagine how much there is total once you leave the roadway.

2.  Iowa is an extremely long state.  It seemingly takes forever to cross, and there really isn't much change in landscape.  It was very nice, but extremely boring.

3.  There is an extreme amount of bugs in the state of Nebraska.  I had no idea.  I stopped at the rest stop for the night and there were thousands of crickets on the ground between the car and the facilities.  As you walked you couldn't help but crunch them, they just refused to move.  Besides the carpeting of insects on the pavement,  there were swarms of mosquitos...big swarms...like what you see in cartoons...it was crazy.

1589.5 miles logged so far...on to Day 3!

No comments:

Post a Comment