Pages

Sunday, August 8, 2010

Day 3 of the Summer Tour..."Still Driving"

Aug 2nd - Woke up on Day 3 on I80 in Nebraska.  The bugs were gone, and it was a beautiful day to drive.  I freshened up and hit the road.  I stopped a little while later for breakfast and gas in N. Platt, so I could refuel my body and steed and continue my journey.  As it turns out, Nebraska is even longer than Iowa, and has just about as much corn, if not more.  Nebraska took the whole morning to cover, and It was midday before I reached Wyoming.  Finally, the scenery started to change, and the cornfields turned into the high plains, which turned into mountains and interesting rock formations.  I stopped at a "Point of Interest" on the side of I80 to take some pictures, stretch my legs, and leave a crumb for anyone following along in "The Equality State".  While here, I got to check out one of natures wonders, a tree growing from a boulder which splits the interstate.  It is said that this natural obstacle rerouted the original Union Pacific Railroad, and has been observed by travellers through the state for over 140 years.  It was a warming, spiritual type feeling to think of all of the people who have been here before me, all with a different reason for their journey, all just passing through the life of this tree.  Be sure to check it out if you ever pass by, or just read about it here.






A short while later, back on the road, I actually sat in a traffic jam in Rock Springs, WY.  My first look at a wall of cars since I left NY.  I turned on my portable CB to find a report that a stalled car in a construction zone was the reason for the logjam.  I tried to be patient but it definitely wasn't easy.  I had been in the car for quite awhile and I was ready for a break.  Just then, I glanced to my right to find a woman riding a horse into the town next to the highway.  It's not everyday that you see something like this as a NYer, so I had to get a pic for proof...needless to say, it took my mind off of the traffic situation long enough to get through it. 

                                          

After I passed the stalled vehicle, it was smooth sailing all the way through the rest of Wyoming, and all of Utah.  I also got a chance to stop and catch an amazing sunset while driving I80 through "The Beehive State"...It really was an incredible sight.


                                      

I finished up around Battle Mountain, NV with just over 1000 miles logged since I began that day...Total miles driven to this point, 2562!!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment