Pages

Friday, August 13, 2010

Day 7..."Portland"

Aug 6th - I woke up in the extra firm queen size bed and I felt great. I went downstairs and procured a cup of the finest free coffee in Portland, then went outside for some fresh air. I had passed the dining room on my way and saw that they had quite a spread set up for the guests. What I didn't see was the sign that said it ended at 9am. When I walked back into the lobby and headed for breakfast, I found that the dining room was closed and locked. Through the little window in the door, I could see people still eating inside and decided I couldn't miss out on this. I went back to the front desk, explained my dilemma, and they had someone come down and let me in even though I was late. When I got in, I found an amazing continental breakfast that included fresh "make your own" waffles, fruit, pastries and juice. I loaded up a plate, grabbed a fresh cup of coffee and headed back to the room. I hated the idea of eating alone at a big table, especially when all of the others were full of people. The waffle was delicious, as were the donuts, and there was still a banana left when I physically couldn't eat any more. I still had 2 hours until check out, so I went back down to the spa for a little while before departing. I loosened up my muscles, went back to the room for a shower and then packed up all of my belongings. I brought everything out to the car and then headed back to the lobby. I had a nice conversation with the girl at the front desk, and we traded stories about hotel rooms in Reno. She checked me out (with no additional hidden fees) and I was on my way. If you ever stay in Portland, this Comfort Inn has my highest recommendation for top quality and low cost. Although we booked through Priceline, I would book direct on my next trip if necessary so I could stay here again.

I checked out at 12, and had a few hours to kill before I met up with friends of a friend from back home. When I was planning my trip, my buddy Liam told me that his brother Brian knew some people out in Portland, and that he may be able to hook me up with a free room for a night or two. At the time, I wasn't sure exactly when I would be in town, so we set it up for Friday and Saturday night, the two dates I definitely knew I needed lodging. Since I had about 6 hours, I went online to find a local wifi hotspot, so I could blog and catch up on emails. My online search directed me to the "Fuel Cafe" on Alberta, and I put the address into the GPS. One thing I noticed while driving from the hotel to the cafe was the amount of bike riders in Portland. Biking is my favorite workout, and I thought about what it would be like to live in an area where there is so much pedal power. There were bikes everywhere, and I was jealous that I was on four wheels instead of two. I arrived at the Fuel Cafe within a few minutes, and it wound up taking longer to find a spot to park than it did to get there. It was a trendy little coffee shop with a corner location, situated on a commercial street with lots of foot traffic. I ordered a coffee, which cost under $2 and came with one free refill. The smile from behind the counter really picked me up, and the service was top notch.  Awesome. I set up the PC and started to catch up on some typing. While I was working, some carpenters came in to do a small window job on the other side of the cafe. I had a hard time concentrating for a little while, but not from the noise or disturbance. My mind drifted back to my days as a carpenter/woodworker, and all of the window jobs I had done over those years.  From window jobs it drifted to all the doors, siding, decks, and cabinets I had done also.  I wondered at the fact that I was swinging a hammer not too long ago, and now I was 3000 miles from home in a coffee shop blogging about the Body Marinade Summer Tour.  Life sure is crazy sometimes.  I got through the first 4 days of writing that I was behind on, and the time seemed to fly by.  Before I knew it, I got a text from Erik that he and his wife were home from work and I could head over.

It was only a few blocks to Erik and Alex's house.  I found a place to park and was greeted by Erik and their Rottweiler Emma.  I had been told before that Emma was vicious, and I was a little nervous when I walked up the path.  Once I shook Eriks hand and said my hellos, Emma realized I wasn't a threat and literally became my best friend.  I scratched her behind her ears and she pressed her body up against my legs hard.  I wasn't prepared for the force at first and she almost knocked me backwards off the porch.  I made sure I would be heavy footed around her from now on and we quickly formed our own language...she banged herself against my legs and I scratched behind her ears.  It worked for both of us, I miss having a dog when I was a kid and a Rottie would be my second choice behind a German Shepherd.  A few minutes after arriving I was sitting on the porch with Erik when his wife Alex came out to say hello.  We all talked for awhile, and then the conversation turned to dinner.  I told them the story from the night before about the lomein, and we contemplated Chinese, but we wound up going southern.  When we were leaving their house, I learned something that blows my mind.  They don't close the door when they go out locally.  Ever.  I experienced Emma, and I understand that she never leaves the doorway, porch or living room, but I was amazed.  Back in NY we lock everything, set alarms, and pay the police department a lot of money to watch over us.  Here in Portland, they just walk out of the house and jump in the car.  Not a care in the world.  Unbelievable to me.  I looked at Emma laying in the doorway as we drove off.  We got a few blocks away and I realized I forgot my wallet.  I asked Erik to swing back past the house so I could pick it up.  When we stopped, I jumped out and ran to the Honda.  When I opened the door Emma went ballistic.  I guess they're right.  Doors can stay open and cars are safe...Emma has it covered.




We wound up at a restaurant called "Miss Delta".  The service was fantastic, as was the pulled pork sandwich I ordered.   The pulled pork wasn't my first choice, but they had just run out of meat loaf and I was happy I took Eriks recommendation.  One of the most interesting things about the place to me was the beverages served from mason jars.  It's a unique touch, and I love a lot of soda, especially in a big heavy glass.  I don't know, call me crazy.  My favorite part of the evening was getting a chance to sit down and have a meal that wasn't served in a bag, with two really great new friends.  I felt like I had known Erik and Alex for years, and I realized how desperate I was for personal friendly contact.  Being out on the road is hard because you are always the outsider.  Every gas station, food joint, convenience store, hotel...you're "just passin through".  You don't realize how much you miss talking to friends, even just walking down the street to get back to the car. 

We went back to their house, after a quick stop for snacks, and Alex headed up to bed.  Erik and I talked for awhile and then he headed up as well.  He left me on the porch with Emma, and I relaxed for a few minutes while rubbing my fingers on her head.  I decided to call it a night and headed for the guest room when I stopped dead in my tracks.  A conversation started in my head.  "Do I close the door?...I have no idea...In NY we close and lock the door...But, they have Emma...Well, it's night time, she has to sleep right?....I guess so...Let's close and lock the door...Good thinkin".  I went upstairs and hit the guest room, and it wasn't long before I was fast asleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment